Electrical Safety in Your Home

Icon electrical safety

Electricity can be dangerous, and you have to be very careful when handling electrical appliances in your home.

As your landlord we have a duty to make sure that electrical appliances and wiring in your home are safe. Being a tenant, the condition and safety of appliances you bring into your home are your responsibility.

What if there is no power? This is what you should do

Our homes are full of electrical appliances that can cause electrocution, damage and fire. Appliances not in use should therefore always be switched off. If you have any doubts about the safety of an appliance, get it tested or replace it.

The danger signs

  • Frayed, cut or damaged cables
  • Incorrectly wired plugs or cracked plug cases
  • Long or overheated cables, and burn marks on plugs or cables
  • Blown fuses
  • Loose cord grips in plugs or appliances
  • Smell of burnt plastic
  • Overloading sockets
  • Wet objects near plug sockets or cables

Make sure to check that...

  • plugs and sockets are undamaged
  • cables and leads are in good condition, and not trailed under carpets or rugs
  • light fittings are not visibly damaged
  • you are not storing combustible materials around your fusebox or meter
  • you don't use the top of the microwave for extra storage
  • you never take mains-powered electrical items into the bathroom

Are my sockets overloaded?

Socket extensions can be useful but become dangerous if overloaded. You should only use one socket extension lead per socket and never plug an extension lead into another extension lead.
This socket calculator lets you know if your sockets are safe.

For more help and advice on elctrical safety in your home, visit Electrical Safety First and browse their range of useful articles.

If you have any questions about electricity in your home, do not hesitate to get in touch with us.