Gas Safety in Your Home
Gas is very dangerous, and you are the one using the gas supply. This means that you are responsible for protecting yourself, your home and anyone living with you.
If you smell gas, you should:
If you smell gas, you should also:
- Switch off all gas appliances
- Do not use any electrical suppliances, including switches, door bell, phone or mobile phone
- Do not smoke or light a flame
- Open doors and windows to get rid of gas
- Turn off the gas supply at the meter. The main tap is usually beside your gas meter
- Turn off any pilot light
- Make sure you do not turn on any lights or other electrical switches as this could cause a spark
If your alarm sounds
We install carbon monoxide detectors in all our gas heated properties. If the alarm sounds, turn off your gas boiler and other appliances and call us on 01506 439291. Outside of office hours, call 0845 038 0040.
Yearly safety inspections
Once a year we carry out an inspect of the gas installations in your home and issue you with a Landlord’s Gas Safety Record.
Every year we will also service central heating boilers and other appliances in your home that are the property of Almond Housing Association. Any appliance that is not our property will also be checked. However, any repairs identified to appliances that you own will be your responsibility.
Please note that...
- You must allow our contractor access for the annual safety check. If you do not give access, we may have to force entry
- Only allow access to someone who is a 'gas safe' registered engineer to work on your gas supply or appliances, or any gas fire
- If any fault is found with your cooker or fire, you should have it repaired and serviced by an approved tradesman. You must check that any tradesman you approach is on the 'Gas Safe Register'
Do you want to install a gas appliance?
Allowing an unqualified person to fit or repair a gas appliance is dangerous and illegal. If you want to install any gas appliance in your home, you must first contact us for permission. To apply for our written permission, give us a call on 01506 439291.
If you have any questions about gas in your home, do not hesitate to get in touch with us.