Our Winter Tips
When temperatures drop most of us will be spending a lot of time indoors, and in these winter months it’s important to make sure that your home is safe and warm.
- Keep your heating on at a low constant temperature, rather than heating your home up quickly allowing it to cool down again
- If you have a pre-payment meter, make sure you have sufficient credit!
- Close all blinds and curtains at night
- Keep furniture away from radiators to allow heat to circulate freely
- Keep outside doors shut and report any obvious draughts
- Make sure to order repeat prescriptions in good time, don’t wait until you run out
- Keep a snow shovel handy
- Be aware of where your grit bins are
- Stay at home in really bad weather, even if that means re-arranging non-urgent appointments
- If you do have to venture out in bad weather, ensure you have adequate clothing. Wrap up in plenty of layers, and don’t forget hats, scarfs and gloves!
- Look out for your neighbours in extreme weather and give your neighbours your phone number in case of emergencies
- If you have a mobile phone, make sure that it has sufficient credit
Also, remember make sure to...
- Know how to turn off your gas
- Know how to turn off your power
- Check where your stopcock valve is for turning off your water
- Check overflows are not running
- Check taps are not dripping
- Check tank jacket is fitted
- Check door locks are working
- Keep a torch handy