No power? This is what to do

If you run out of power, the first thing you need to do is to check your meter. If there are no credits on the meter, you will have to buy more in order for the power to turn back on. This page tells you everything you need to know about power cuts.

If there is no power, check your meter

If there are no credits on the meter, you will have to buy more.

If there is no power but you do have credits, call your supplier, they will be able to advise if there is a power failure in your area.

Could the problem be something else?

Most of our houses now have circuit breakers and a Residual Current Detector (RCD) rather than a fuse box. An RCD is a safety device that switches off electricity automatically if there is a fault.

If a fault is detected, the RCD trips and turns off the supply to all the circuits it protects, usually the sockets, water heating, shower, cooker, and the overhead lights.

What causes an RCD to trip?

An RCD could trip because of a faulty appliance. To identify any faulty appliances, unplug all your electrical appliances. Are you able to flick the switch on the RCD back to its original position? If so, then plug the appliances back in one at a time. Flick the RCD switch as you plug each appliance back in to identify the faulty one.

Washing machines, dishwashers, fridges and freezers can all cause tripping. When turning on the cooker, check each ring, grill and oven separately, allowing them to fully heat up.

If an item is faulty, the power will go off again when this item is switched on. Switch the item off, reset the circuit breaker again, leave the item off, then switch on any items you have not already tried to check they are not faulty.

If you find a faulty appliance

If the fault is caused by one of your own electrical items, such as the kettle, cooker or TV, you will have to get this repaired by a qualified electrician, or replaced.

If the fault is a sealed light or the water heater, leave the item switched off and report the fault to us so we can fix it. Do not use the faulty item again until it has been repaired.

Who is responsible for which repairs?

You are responsible for internal decoration, carpets, laminate flooring, furnishings, lightbulbs, and the contents of fridges and freezers. You are also responsible for your private garden.

We expect you to take good care of your home and may recharge you if the repair is your responsibility or has arisen due to neglect or carelessness.

We are responsible for repairing and maintaining within your home and garden of the property you live in. This includes all the external parts and internal fixtures and fittings originally provided by us but not those that are listed as your responsibility or were specifically made your responsibility at the beginning of your tenancy, or which you have installed yourself.

Our responsibilities also cover most pipes, wiring, fixtures and fittings for heating, drainage, guttering, power and lighting. We are repsonible for all sealed lighting but do not provide ordinary lightbulbs. Smoke detectors are originally provided by us, but we are not responsible for those belonging to the utility companies.

We do not maintain your private garden but are responsible for any fencing or sheds originally provided by us, and for the paths within your garden that lead to the front or back doors.

We will be responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of blocks of flats where Almond owns or has a factoring agreement for the block. Almond will be responsible for the external and common areas of the block, i.e. not inside each individual flat unless owned by Almond. Items included are communal doors, door entry systems, decoration, paving and fencing, floor covering and electrical work such as lighting etc. The cost for all these works will be covered by your rent. No additional cost will be expected from the tenant for these repairs.

In the case where Almond is not the sole owner or factors the block the cost of repairs will be divided between the owners. In this case before any work which we want to carry out can commence an agreement with other owners is required for the payment of the shared costs.

Power cut illustration 1

Still in the dark?

If you don’t manage to restore your power and the problem occurs during the day, please call our office on 01506 439291.

If the problem occurs when our office is closed, please call our office and select option 3 or call 0141 225 2842.

Please note that...

If you report an electrical fault and our contractor finds the cause is one of your appliances and you have not checked everything before calling us, you will be charged the costs of the contractor’s time.


If you have any questions about electricity in your home, do not hesitate to get in touch with us.